Friday, November 24, 2023

avocado thanksgiving

Growing up in a U.S. military family was always very interesting. We never lived anywhere longer than 3 years at a time, whether in the continental USA or overseas. 

Our family was always considered "big" by American standards - Mom and Dad and 6 kids. Wherever we lived, Mom always did things in eights - 8 terracotta Portugese roosters on the kitchen windowsill in the Azores, 8 big red Christmas personalized Christmas stockings hanging over the fireplace in Arlington, VA, etc.

Whichever State of the Union or whatever country we lived in, my Mom would always  have, at least, one avocado seed germinating in a wine glass, always placed in the kitchen window. In the 18 years living at home, never once saw any of her germinating avocado trees grow taller than one foot, or have any more than a few leaves.

More than a year and a half ago, a good friend, here on Rota, gave me a big bag of advocadoes from his farm. Held back 8 seeds, and set them up to germinate just like my Mom used to do. 
Put all 8 avocado seeds on the kitchen windowsill. That was one and a half years ago. Between then and now, only 4 of the original 8 seeds have survived.

Now it's the Thanksgiving and Christmas season - can't stop thinking about my Mom and Dad, both of whom passed away many years ago. So many fond memories.

 
Of the 4 surviving avocado trees, one has been doing so much better than the other three. So, today, the 24th in the Marianas, but Thanksgiving in the States, planted an avacodo tree in my front yard in honor of my Mom and Dad. I thank God for giving me such good parents, and will always remember them, love, and respect them, even in my old age.

My new puppy, Toku, was right there helping me plant the avocado tree. Toku gives a, "Bark, bark," as well as a full body, enthusiastic tail-wag to everyone who reads this post.


4 comments:

  1. I remember when you visited we tried that with the avocado seed! Cute dog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Soleil! Hope to get some fruit in 2 or 3 years. Toku is about 6 months old - my 1st ever dog (just mine).

      Delete
    2. Beautiful, Jerry. Mom did plant that one in Rancho. Seems like it got to be about the same size as this one you've just planted.

      Delete
    3. Way cool...never got to see that one. Maybe it's bearing fruit now. Hope this one will fruit in a couple years. Hoping/expecting 2.5' of growth this year.

      Delete